A Tribe in Peril: The Hijra in Mumbai
BY Alison McCauley
March 06 2014 6:05 AM ET
Puja is an energetic and talkative hijra guru, who lives near King's Circle Station, in Mumbai. She told me that she is raped on average 10 days out of every month. She says, that the police won’t help and expects the reinstatement of Section 377 will only make police more likely to treat hijra abusively.
Puja, like most of the hijra sex workers, charges 100 IRP ($1.60) for 15 minutes. She says she has between six and 10 clients a day. She was in a relationship with a man for two years, but he has since bowed to family pressure and married and started a family. Puja still loves him and he comes to spend time with her at least once a month. She says, “It’s better than nothing.”
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View