PHOTOS: The Spirit of Boston Pride
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 12 2013 5:00 AM ET
Some things really do get better with age, and Boston Gay Pride is no exception. Started in 1970 by a small group of gay and lesbian Vietnam War protesters, it continued and grew, becoming one of the oldest surviving festivals of its kind. Today, Boston Pride attracts more than 400,000 participants annually. A recent piece in The Boston Globe makes the case that Boston actually powered the birth of the gay rights movement.
Out NBA athlete Jason Collins and Joe Kennedy (center) march in the parade.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment