Maryland's (Re) Commitment Problem
BY Advocate Contributors
May 17 2011 4:00 AM ET
Marriage equality advocates in Maryland had many reasons to feel hopeful about the legislative session this year, not least because of lawmakers who promised to vote for a marriage equality bill. Memories of campaign pledges from lawmakers only magnified the disappointment when, in a shocking procedural move, the house of delegates voted in March to recommit the bill, which sent it back to committee for consideration and effectively killed its prospects until at least 2012.
“It was quite public and quite traumatic to have people take a walk on equality,” said Morgan Meneses-Sheets, executive director of Equality Maryland, a statewide advocacy group that helped elect some lawmakers who ended up backtracking.
One high-profile example was Del. Sam Arora, a newly elected Montgomery County Democrat and judiciary committee member who cosponsored the marriage bill, only to waver in his commitment, citing religious concerns after it passed the senate. He eventually voted to advance the bill from committee, but his inexplicable hand-wringing presaged a string of defections that contributed to advocates’ decision to delay a floor vote rather than let the bill fail. Arora, who campaigned hard on marriage equality, met with outrage from gay donors, including some who demanded their money back.
“Other than [having] people in the bushes around his house, whispering through his window that they were the voice of God, I don’t know how you change that,” said Sen. Richard Madaleno, a gay lawmaker and lead sponsor of the bill. “In that sense, this is shocking.”
“We do need to reconcile how do we hold someone accountable,” said Meneses-Sheets, noting the state legislative election is three years away. “We can’t say, ‘We’re going to oust you right away.’ ”
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 12 min 20 sec ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 16 min 47 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1 hour 32 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 2 hours 20 min ago
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM