BY Advocate Contributors
July 06 2011 3:00 AM ET
When Drop Dead Diva creator Josh Berman heard Wanda Sykes pay tribute to Constance McMillen (pictured) at the 2010 GLAAD Awards in Los Angeles, he knew he wanted to write an episode about a lesbian couple being barred from attending prom in the Lifetime comedy’s third season. What Berman didn’t know is that he’d manage to snag both Sykes and McMillen for roles in the episode. “After I wrote the episode, I thought it would be my dream casting to have Wanda, but we were informed she wasn’t doing any TV,” Berman says. “We explained that we were inspired by her speech — she quickly accepted.” Berman, who is gay, says casting McMillen was the comedian’s idea. “We didn’t go after her because she isn’t an actress. But after we were all done, Wanda thought it would be a great idea to give Constance a cameo.” The show, which follows the adventures of an up-and-coming model who dies and is reborn in the body of plus-size lawyer Jane (Brooke Elliott), has no regular gay characters. But with subject matter like the prom episode and Diva’s revolving door of gay-iconic guest stars, Berman says he’s focused on connecting with gay fans. “The show is about feeling like an outsider, and I think that’s very relatable to gay and lesbian viewers. It’s the reason I approached this material in the first place.” The episode will air Sunday, July 24 at 9 p.m. on Lifetime.
Watch the promo below.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 1 hour 14 min ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 1 hour 37 min ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 1 hour 45 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 1 hour 53 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 1 hour 55 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 2 hours 3 min ago
- Internet Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay 2 hours 50 min ago