BY Advocate Contributors
July 06 2011 4:00 AM ET
When Drop Dead Diva creator Josh Berman heard Wanda Sykes pay tribute to Constance McMillen (pictured) at the 2010 GLAAD Awards in Los Angeles, he knew he wanted to write an episode about a lesbian couple being barred from attending prom in the Lifetime comedy’s third season. What Berman didn’t know is that he’d manage to snag both Sykes and McMillen for roles in the episode. “After I wrote the episode, I thought it would be my dream casting to have Wanda, but we were informed she wasn’t doing any TV,” Berman says. “We explained that we were inspired by her speech — she quickly accepted.” Berman, who is gay, says casting McMillen was the comedian’s idea. “We didn’t go after her because she isn’t an actress. But after we were all done, Wanda thought it would be a great idea to give Constance a cameo.” The show, which follows the adventures of an up-and-coming model who dies and is reborn in the body of plus-size lawyer Jane (Brooke Elliott), has no regular gay characters. But with subject matter like the prom episode and Diva’s revolving door of gay-iconic guest stars, Berman says he’s focused on connecting with gay fans. “The show is about feeling like an outsider, and I think that’s very relatable to gay and lesbian viewers. It’s the reason I approached this material in the first place.” The episode will air Sunday, July 24 at 9 p.m. on Lifetime.
Watch the promo below.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 19 min 37 sec ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 1 hour 30 min ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 1 hour 33 min ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 2 hours 17 min ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 2 hours 24 min ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 5:07 PM
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 4:50 PM