150 Reasons to Have Pride in 2010
BY Advocate Contributors
May 10 2010 4:00 AM ET
BECAUSE WEDDING BELLS ARE MUSIC TO OUR EARS
We’re verklempt, and we’re not even a mother of either groom. In March, Lance Cpl. James Wharton, a 23-year-old member of the British armed forces’ Household Cavalry, wed his 21-year-old partner, Thom McCaffrey, in full military regalia that included an Iraq tour medal proudly displayed on his uniform. “It was only a decade ago that military personnel who were found to be gay could be court-martialed and could face interrogation and expulsion, ruining otherwise promising military careers and promoting an atmosphere of fear among the forces,” says Joseph Galliano, a former editor in chief of the U.K.’s Gay Times. “The fact that the military has now hosted the civil partnership reception at their own barracks is a sign of how far British society has come.” The music of choice for the men’s stroll down the aisle? “Go West,” the Pet Shop Boys’ anthem to all things homo.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 32 min 26 sec ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 40 min ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 1 hour 20 min ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 2 hours 17 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 2 hours 32 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 2 hours 50 min ago
- Women Pussy Riot To Be Freed 5:25 PM