150 Reasons to Have Pride in 2010
BY Advocate Contributors
May 10 2010 4:00 AM ET
BECAUSE STEPHEN COLBERT HAS AMERICA BY THE BALLOTS
The host of the fake news show The Colbert Report has a lifetime of props for roasting President Bush at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, not to mention mocking lawmakers’ bigotry by ironically endorsing it.
BECAUSE A MAJORITY OF PEOPLE THINK DADT HAS SEEN ITS DAY
According to a February poll by Quinnipiac University, 57% of Americans support dropping “don’t ask, don’t tell” like a bad habit.
BECAUSE WE’VE GOT FRIENDS IN UNEXPECTED PLACES
As the young LGBT activists on the 2010 Soulforce Q Equality Ride traveled to Goshen, Ind., they broke bread with some unlikely hosts. The Saturday Assembly Mennonite Church hosted a potluck dinner and conversation.
BECAUSE WE FIGHT TO MAKE SURE OUR FILMS ARE SEEN
While in years past some attempts to hold the event were shut down by police, the Beijing Queer Film Festival went off without a hitch in July 2009. We’re awaiting announcement of the 2010 festival.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- Why the Mississippi Marriage Win Is Our Most Important Yet
- Texas AG: Same-Sex Couples' Request to Marry 'Untimely, Out of Order'
- PHOTOS: Explore Genderqueer and Other Genders Beyond the Binary