BY Advocate Contributors
November 16 2010 10:00 PM ET
Lady Gaga Speaks Out for Gay Rights
You’re nobody till somebody hates you, and Lady Gaga is no mere arriviste. Because she has a monstrously large gay fan base, she may have seen it as a badge of honor when Fred Phelps and his Westboro bullies picketed her concerts with “God Hates Lady Gaga” signs. She also drew the ire of Camille Paglia, who emerged from mothballs to give Our Lady G a tongue-lashing, calling her overconceptualized, calculating, and antiseptic. Trouper that she is, Gaga soldiered on. She continued to provoke as a multiplatinum-selling fashionista of the highest order. But we most love Gaga for having our back, for actively railing against injustice of all kinds—witness her impromptu appearance in Maine in September to speak out against “don’t ask, don’t tell.” Criticize her meat dress as tasteless if you will, but there’s no denying this Lady is a champ.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- New Suicide Hotline Dedicated to Trans People Now Open for Calls
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg Has Health Scare But Is Home for Thanksgiving
- Meet This Year's 'Prime Time 25'