BY Advocate Contributors
November 16 2010 10:00 PM ET
Lady Gaga Speaks Out for Gay Rights
You’re nobody till somebody hates you, and Lady Gaga is no mere arriviste. Because she has a monstrously large gay fan base, she may have seen it as a badge of honor when Fred Phelps and his Westboro bullies picketed her concerts with “God Hates Lady Gaga” signs. She also drew the ire of Camille Paglia, who emerged from mothballs to give Our Lady G a tongue-lashing, calling her overconceptualized, calculating, and antiseptic. Trouper that she is, Gaga soldiered on. She continued to provoke as a multiplatinum-selling fashionista of the highest order. But we most love Gaga for having our back, for actively railing against injustice of all kinds—witness her impromptu appearance in Maine in September to speak out against “don’t ask, don’t tell.” Criticize her meat dress as tasteless if you will, but there’s no denying this Lady is a champ.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 1 hour 5 min ago
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 1 hour 5 min ago
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM