You Just Said Yes, Now What?
BY Daniel W.K. Lee
July 01 2013 4:00 AM ET
8 MONTHS TO GO
Hire the photographer & videographer
Even if their names come recommended to you, review their portfolios and reels to confirm that what you see is what you like. Make sure they are willing to get the shots you want.
It is your duty to test-drive the entertainment you want at your wedding, so attend band gigs, DJ parties, etc. before hiring the talent. If you intend to have more unorthodox acts, you will need to double-check with your venue to make sure that they can accommodate production needs.
Choose the caterers
Maybe your wife- or husband-to-be’s family is entirely vegan, while your own thinks the parsley garnishing a steak is enough vegetable on the plate. Hire a caterer that can address your menu needs to your satisfaction.
After all that hair-pulling deliberation, now’s the time to purchase the wedding dress(es), suits, or tuxedos. Get any custom-made pieces started, especially if your wedding has multiple rituals and requires different garments. Schedule several fittings, with the last one a month before the big day.
Arrange multiple accommodations at different budgets to give your guests options — the closer to the reception and ceremony venues, the better. David Lopez, general manager of the Out NYC, a gay hotel in New York, has the following booking tip: “The best deals come from picking up your phone and booking with us directly instead of doing it online.”
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- Game Developers Conference Tackles LGBT Representation in Video Games
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples 4:14 PM