The Back Story on the Cover Artist
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 11 2011 11:00 PM ET
John MacConnell, who created the stunning image of Governor Cuomo on our cover, feels deeply rooted in the LGBT community. Not only was he at the legendary Stonewall Inn when the announcement came in that the state of New York had voted in marriage equality, he just happened to be front and center in a photograph of celebrants that appeared on one of the most iconic newspaper covers documenting the historic event. Along with the news, it was an image that went around the world.
In addition to designing covers and appearing on them, MacConnell does freelance drawing, painting, and digital art. He’s also a professor at Long Island University teaching illustration and design, and he works full-time for Harlem United, a nonprofit providing HIV prevention, housing, and care services for homeless New Yorkers.
The artist says he was ecstatic to be asked to work on our cover. “This is an important issue of The Advocate, and I feel so fortunate that I’m able to be a part of this incredible moment in history.”
Take a peek at some of MacConnell's work in the following pages.
- Hot Sheet: Super Duper Star Zack
- Florist Counter-Sues Washington, Arguing She Has a Right to Discriminate
- Protests Continue But Opponents in France Get Final Loss
- Herndon Graddick Resigns as President of GLAAD
- WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News
- The Story of How Jason Collins Came Out to His Twin Brother
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM