I Advocate...Glenne McElhinney
BY Advocate Contributors
July 06 2011 4:00 AM ET
...International Documentary Association.
Documentary filmmaking has been so important over the years, exposing wrongdoings in communities, bringing to light hidden, wonderful characters and geographies, and showing people there are others like them (or not like them) in the world. For LGBT and ally filmmakers, the IDA has been a supportive place to start the process of making a documentary film. The IDA awards given to filmmakers such as Rob Epstein (The Times of Harvey Milk) and the support given to beginners such as myself are vital in our journey as documentarians. LGBT documentary filmmakers provide a valuable service to our community by bringing historical people and places out into the open, highlighting the growing spectrum of our people, and definitely helping to spotlight and right social justice wrongs against us. Documentary.org
- Op-ed: Gay Nightlife Is Dead — Long Live Gay Nightlife
- Op-ed: Rethinking the Shame Game Against Homophobes
- New ABC Talker Laura Ingraham Has Antigay Record
- Op-ed: I'm a Gay Guy at a Christian College
- WATCH: Sprint Sends Customer Email to 'Gay Sissyboy'
- WATCH: Ala. Woman Charged With Murder of Son's Boyfriend