Reasons to Have Pride in 2012, Part 3
BY Advocate Contributors
May 17 2012 4:15 AM ET
Because we’re updating school assemblies
In some schools, when students are called to the auditorium for an assembly, the Gay Men’s Chorus of Los Angeles is there waiting, hoping to change hearts and minds through music. The choral singers not only perform but also offer instruction and share their own stories of survival as gay people. LeAnn Rimes, Melissa Manchester, and Slash of Guns N’ Roses have all recorded PSAs promoting the chorus’s mission. The chorus’s version of Cyndi Lauper’s “True Colors” is still a favorite It Gets Better video and has inspired a new educational program, a touring musical of the same name. Given enough fund-raising success it’ll come to a school near you.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor
- Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 2 hours 59 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM