Reasons to Have Pride in 2012, Part 3
BY Advocate Contributors
May 17 2012 5:15 AM ET
Because we’re updating school assemblies
In some schools, when students are called to the auditorium for an assembly, the Gay Men’s Chorus of Los Angeles is there waiting, hoping to change hearts and minds through music. The choral singers not only perform but also offer instruction and share their own stories of survival as gay people. LeAnn Rimes, Melissa Manchester, and Slash of Guns N’ Roses have all recorded PSAs promoting the chorus’s mission. The chorus’s version of Cyndi Lauper’s “True Colors” is still a favorite It Gets Better video and has inspired a new educational program, a touring musical of the same name. Given enough fund-raising success it’ll come to a school near you.
- Where in the World Are The Happiest Gay Men?
- Interception: Clemson Football Coach Withdraws From Antigay Fundraiser
- Tenn. Pastor Accused of Gay Tryst Now Charged With Lifting From Church
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- Op-ed: Let's Keep the Momentum Going After Win in Ireland