Washington: A Gender-Neutral State
BY Neal Broverman
April 26 2013 1:59 PM ET
Washington governor Jay Inslee signed a bill earlier this week that will change all the state's statutes, dating back to 1854, to gender-neutral descriptions.
Terms like "Firemen" have also already been changed to "firefighters," but the new law will go further, adjusting words like "ombudsmen" to "ombuds," and "watchmen" to "security guards."
"It brings us to modern times, to contemporary times," the bill's sponsor Sen. Jeannie Kohl-Welles said, according to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. "Why should we have in statute anything that could be viewed as biased or stereotypical or reflecting any discrimination?"
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 8:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM