Washington: A Gender-Neutral State
BY Neal Broverman
April 26 2013 12:59 PM ET
Washington governor Jay Inslee signed a bill earlier this week that will change all the state's statutes, dating back to 1854, to gender-neutral descriptions.
Terms like "Firemen" have also already been changed to "firefighters," but the new law will go further, adjusting words like "ombudsmen" to "ombuds," and "watchmen" to "security guards."
"It brings us to modern times, to contemporary times," the bill's sponsor Sen. Jeannie Kohl-Welles said, according to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. "Why should we have in statute anything that could be viewed as biased or stereotypical or reflecting any discrimination?"
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Senate Republicans Introduce 'License to Discriminate' Bill
- India's Sodomy Ban Incites 'Day of Rage' Among Activists
- Op-ed: The Other Obligation That Comes With HIV
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Politics India's Sodomy Ban Incites 'Day of Rage' Among Activists 32 min 32 sec ago
- Activism Queers for Economic Justice Announces Closure 34 min 48 sec ago
- Entertainment News Johnny Weir Scrubs His Bio of Russian Government Work 1 hour 42 min ago
- Transgender HHS to Reevaluate Ban on Gender-Confirming Surgeries 1 hour 47 min ago
- Television WATCH: Ian McKellen Strolls Down Sesame Street 2 hours 16 min ago
- Women WATCH: Mary Lambert's Version of 'Teenage Dirtbag' is a Lesbian Love Song! 2 hours 37 min ago
- Marriage Equality Senate Republicans Introduce 'License to Discriminate' Bill 2 hours 46 min ago