Queens 'Drag Down Bigotry' in Front of Westboro Baptist Church
BY Jase Peeples
October 29 2013 2:21 PM ET
Equality House had a hit with its first drag show, held Saturday in front of the Westboro Baptist Church in an effort to spread a message of peace and positive change for LGBTQ people, reports The Huffington Post.
The event — appropriately titled “Drag Down Bigotry” — was produced as a fund-raiser for programs battling antigay bullying and drew approximately 150 attendees to the front lawn of the house, located across the street from the antigay church’s compound in Topeka, Kan. The house gained headlines earlier this year when the nonprofit organization Planting Peace purchased the property, painted the outside of the home in rainbow colors, and dubbed the location as the Equality House.
"Our first 'Drag Down Bigotry' event was a huge success and we are very pleased with how many people participated in and/or supported our efforts," Planting Peace president Aaron Jackson, told HuffPo. "This was another successful step towards silencing the hate from the WBC and bringing awareness to the high suicide rate amongst our LGBTQ youth."
Take a look at photos and video from the event on the following pages. For more information on how you can help Planting Peace spread the message of equality for all, visit the organization’s website.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 2 hours 37 min ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM