Out100: The Activists Who Shaped 2013
BY Advocate Contributors
November 13 2013 9:00 AM ET
Photography by Danielle Levitt
Pennsylvania was the largest U.S. state never to elect an out LGBT legislator, until Sims changed that. A Democratic representative in the state’s General Assembly, he says his dream is simple: “Pennsylvania doesn’t have a single LGBT civil rights law, and I want to ensure we’re protecting all our citizens.”
Photographed at Fast Ashley’s Studio in Brooklyn, N.Y., on September 5, 2013
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- Why the Mississippi Marriage Win Is Our Most Important Yet
- Texas AG: Same-Sex Couples' Request to Marry 'Untimely, Out of Order'
- Book Excerpt: Richard Blanco's First 'San Giving'