Triumphs and Setbacks of Gay Straight Alliances
BY Jeffrey Hartinger
August 01 2011 6:40 PM ET
March 2011: Rhode Island State representative Dan Gordon stated that youth at Tiverton High School were being “sexed-up” because of their GSA, in addition to saying the school should lose state funding. Gordon, a Republican, furthered his stance on a Providence radio station that drew much criticism from both the media and the general public.
Update: A few months later, Arne Duncan published his letter regarding equal rights and protections for gay-straight alliances; hopefully paving the way for further acceptance and tolerance.
- Op-ed: Gay Nightlife Is Dead — Long Live Gay Nightlife
- Op-ed: Rethinking the Shame Game Against Homophobes
- RuPaul's Drag Race, Logo TV Apologize for Transphobic Slur
- WATCH: Sprint Sends Customer Email to 'Gay Sissyboy'
- WATCH: Ala. Woman Charged With Murder of Son's Boyfriend
- Op-ed: I'm a Gay Guy at a Christian College