Triumphs and Setbacks of Gay Straight Alliances
BY Jeffrey Hartinger
August 01 2011 6:40 PM ET
March 2011: Rhode Island State representative Dan Gordon stated that youth at Tiverton High School were being “sexed-up” because of their GSA, in addition to saying the school should lose state funding. Gordon, a Republican, furthered his stance on a Providence radio station that drew much criticism from both the media and the general public.
Update: A few months later, Arne Duncan published his letter regarding equal rights and protections for gay-straight alliances; hopefully paving the way for further acceptance and tolerance.
- BREAKING: Federal Judge Upholds Puerto Rico Marriage Ban
- Op-ed: Be a Lady, Not a Tramp
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: CNN's Cooper, Lemon Explore Their Roots in Special Program
- Last-Minute Gift Ideas for the Catholic Who Suddenly Wants to Be Friends
- Trans Woman Dares Bible-Quoting Councilman to Stone Her to Death