Triumphs and Setbacks of Gay Straight Alliances
BY Jeffrey Hartinger
August 01 2011 6:40 PM ET
March 2011: Rhode Island State representative Dan Gordon stated that youth at Tiverton High School were being “sexed-up” because of their GSA, in addition to saying the school should lose state funding. Gordon, a Republican, furthered his stance on a Providence radio station that drew much criticism from both the media and the general public.
Update: A few months later, Arne Duncan published his letter regarding equal rights and protections for gay-straight alliances; hopefully paving the way for further acceptance and tolerance.
- Here's How Trans Folks Welcomed Caitlyn Jenner to the Twitterverse
- Out NYC Hotel Owners Hit With Discrimination Lawsuit
- 13 Gay Male Pop Stars and Their Long-Term Partners
- Laverne Cox on Caitlyn Jenner: 'We Need Diverse Media Representations of Trans Folks'
- WATCH: John Oliver Eviscerates Vatican's Hypocrisy on Irish Marriage Equality
- WATCH: The Right-Wing Dissing of Caitlyn Jenner Begins