Lambda vs. Howard K. Stern
BY Gabriel G. Arana
April 10 2009 12:00 AM ET
Lawyers for the defense
have also questioned whether Stern can really claim damages
given that Hollywood is generally accepting of gays and
the milieu Stern has lived in for the past decadeâ€¦saying
someone is gay or bisexual, even if false, is not
defamatory," a defense brief states.
Stern's lawyer did
not respond to requests for comment, but the nature of the suit
raises the question of the role that plaintiffs play in
furthering antigay prejudice.
Ude, however, said that
the particulars of the case or the motive of the plaintiff
matter less than the broad implications of having courts
recognize that being called gay -- false or not -- is not
damaging to one's reputation.
about the individual plaintiff than about what recognizing the
claim could mean for society," he said.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM