Lambda vs. Howard K. Stern
BY Gabriel G. Arana
April 10 2009 12:00 AM ET
Lawyers for the defense
have also questioned whether Stern can really claim damages
given that Hollywood is generally accepting of gays and
the milieu Stern has lived in for the past decadeâ€¦saying
someone is gay or bisexual, even if false, is not
defamatory," a defense brief states.
Stern's lawyer did
not respond to requests for comment, but the nature of the suit
raises the question of the role that plaintiffs play in
furthering antigay prejudice.
Ude, however, said that
the particulars of the case or the motive of the plaintiff
matter less than the broad implications of having courts
recognize that being called gay -- false or not -- is not
damaging to one's reputation.
about the individual plaintiff than about what recognizing the
claim could mean for society," he said.
- Duggar Show Pulled From TLC Schedule, Could Be Canceled
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- New Orleans Mayor Counters Jindal's Order With One of Acceptance for All
- 25 Unforgettable Gay TV Kisses
- For YouTube's 10th Birthday, the 10 Best LGBT Videos
- #TBT: The Battle for the Bulge