Lambda vs. Howard K. Stern
BY Gabriel G. Arana
April 09 2009 11:00 PM ET
Lawyers for the defense
have also questioned whether Stern can really claim damages
given that Hollywood is generally accepting of gays and
the milieu Stern has lived in for the past decadeâ€¦saying
someone is gay or bisexual, even if false, is not
defamatory," a defense brief states.
Stern's lawyer did
not respond to requests for comment, but the nature of the suit
raises the question of the role that plaintiffs play in
furthering antigay prejudice.
Ude, however, said that
the particulars of the case or the motive of the plaintiff
matter less than the broad implications of having courts
recognize that being called gay -- false or not -- is not
damaging to one's reputation.
about the individual plaintiff than about what recognizing the
claim could mean for society," he said.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM