PHOTOS: Students and Stars Shine at Point Foundation Benefit
BY Daniel Reynolds
September 11 2013 6:00 AM ET
Stars and students gathered at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza in Los Angeles last weekend to celebrate Voices on Point, a musical fundraiser in support of the Point Foundation. The organization raised more than $400,000 during the evening, a record-breaking amount that will fund scholarships and help provide living expenses as well as internship and mentorship opportunities for LGBT students. Many Point Foundation scholars were in attendance at the event, sharing the stage and their stories, and illustrating the many obstacles they overcame due to the work of Point and its donors.
Richard Marx, Deniece Williams, Melissa Manchester, Alex Newell, and G.R.L were among the “on point” voices that rocked the evening, which honored songwriter and screenwriter Dean Pitchford (Footloose, Fame). The Advocate spoke with Pitchford, Newell, and many of the other luminaries in attendance, including Judith Light, Carmen Electra, Victoria Justice, Lindsay Arnold, Bai Ling, Wendie Malick, Greg Louganis, Taylor Bright, and Derek and Drew Riker, and asked them for their messages of encouragement for LGBT young people. In addition, the stars shared stories of the role models and mentors who helped guide them to success.
Point Foundation Scholars
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Texas Pastor Who Threatened to Set Himself Aflame Now 'Loves' Gays
- WATCH: Mississippi Clerk Refuses to Wed Gay Couples, Quits After 24 Years
- George Takei Takes on Clarence Thomas and Donald Trump (and Wins!)
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls