PHOTOS: Students and Stars Shine at Point Foundation Benefit
BY Daniel Reynolds
September 11 2013 6:00 AM ET
Stars and students gathered at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza in Los Angeles last weekend to celebrate Voices on Point, a musical fundraiser in support of the Point Foundation. The organization raised more than $400,000 during the evening, a record-breaking amount that will fund scholarships and help provide living expenses as well as internship and mentorship opportunities for LGBT students. Many Point Foundation scholars were in attendance at the event, sharing the stage and their stories, and illustrating the many obstacles they overcame due to the work of Point and its donors.
Richard Marx, Deniece Williams, Melissa Manchester, Alex Newell, and G.R.L were among the “on point” voices that rocked the evening, which honored songwriter and screenwriter Dean Pitchford (Footloose, Fame). The Advocate spoke with Pitchford, Newell, and many of the other luminaries in attendance, including Judith Light, Carmen Electra, Victoria Justice, Lindsay Arnold, Bai Ling, Wendie Malick, Greg Louganis, Taylor Bright, and Derek and Drew Riker, and asked them for their messages of encouragement for LGBT young people. In addition, the stars shared stories of the role models and mentors who helped guide them to success.
Point Foundation Scholars
- World Record Bodybuilder Comes Out as Trans
- Brokeback Mountain: The 10th Anniversary of a Gay Classic
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- Members of Congress to Antigay Nations' Diplomats: Leave Your Spouse Home
- 10 Things People Living With HIV Are Sick of Hearing