Forty Under 40: Sports
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 06 2009 12:00 AM ET
Natasha Kai | Soccer player | 26 | Kahuku, Hawaii
Instantly recognizable for the sleeve of tattoos on her right arm, Hawaiian soccer player Natasha Kai has also become known for her rebellious image and her intensity on the field. One of six children, Kai began her soccer career at age 7 in local leagues in Kahuku, on the island of Oahu. Nearly 20 years later, Kai has accomplished what most athletes only dream of -- winning an Olympic gold medal, hers at the 2008 games in Beijing. Playing as forward for the U.S. national team, she became a sensation on gay news sites last year after coming out during an interview with NBC.com.
Kai explained in that interview that a particularly stressful breakup with a girlfriend had nearly prevented her from making it onto the 2007 World Cup roster. She managed to get her head on "straight" just in time to make the team, though, and has gone on to become one of the world's most famous female athletes from Hawaii.
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- WATCH: Gay Marine Proposes to Boyfriend
- Poland's Only Gay Parliamentarian Attacked After Pride
- No Marriage Rulings From Supremes Today
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM