Forty Under 40: Sports
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 06 2009 12:00 AM ET
Andrew Langenfeld | Swimmer | 22 | Centralia, Ill.
Here are the numbers. At the 2009 Big Ten swimming championships, Purdue University's Andrew Langenfeld, 22, 6 foot 6, did the 50-meter freestyle in 19.34 seconds, breaking a record established in 2005. This new benchmark in the fastest race in men's swimming marked a resurgence for Langenfeld after some setbacks including an emergency appendectomy and a failed bid to swim alongside a certain other U.S. swimmer in Beijing. It was around the time of those Olympic trials that Langenfeld had his first taste of notoriety, when the press outed him to his grandparents and a few friends from home. Although initially blindsided, Langenfeld used the sudden exposure to launch his nonprofit, Our Group, aimed at supporting and connecting LGBT student athletes. "Within sports circles, things are usually about 10 years behind the rest of society," he says. Before entering Purdue (where he'll graduate in December), he dated a closeted swim teammate at West Virginia University; their breakup was so painful that he transferred. So what about London in 2012? The foreign-language student and theater buff (he's taught his teammates to hum show tunes) says, "If I can continue to swim well, it's definitely in the cards. I might stick it out -- but [three] years is a long time."
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM