Former Brit Footballer Says Gay Rumors Sidelined Career
BY Neal Broverman
November 12 2012 9:53 PM ET
Ian Bishop, a former footballer who never made it to Britain's major leagues, blames untrue gay rumors for stunting his career.
Bishop, 47, said in a recent interview that whispers about him being in a relationship with another player were the reason he was never recruited to Britain's top football teams.
"Nothing against gay people. People are free to be what they want and there's no issue. It didn’t hurt me to be called it — it hurt me because it affected my life," Bishop, who now lives in the U.S., told the Manchester Evening News. "In a way, it could have affected my international prospects at the time. I just thought if that's the way they think, then I'm not bothered anymore."
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- PHOTOS: Pride From France to Italy to Greece
- Op-ed: Flying While Trans
- Dallas Councilwoman Objects to "Homosexual Conduct" in HIV Testing Billboard
- Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain 1 hour 22 min ago
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood 2 hours 57 min ago
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 6:06 PM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 6:00 PM
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 5:44 PM