Gay Soccer Player Trains With L.A. Galaxy
BY Michelle Garcia
May 02 2013 2:39 PM ET
Robbie Rogers, an American soccer player who played several years in Europe before coming out as gay and then announcing he was returning to California to take a break from the sport, is now training with the Los Angeles Galaxy.
Rogers, 25, came out in February, and then said he was leaving soccer, but on Tuesday he trained with the two-time defending Major League Soccer Cup champions. Currently, his contract is with the Chicago Fire, if he decides to play again.
Head coach Bruce Arena said Rogers played well, given the fact he's been away from the game for a while. He added that with a groundswell of support for gay athletes, it would be a good time for Rogers to play in the league.
"I think our league is a progressive league," Arena said. "Our league is a league comprised of all different races, colors and creeds, and to be accepting of a gay athlete I don’t think is anything that’s difficult for our league."
Chicago's head coach, Frank Klopas reiterated his support for Rogers, if he were to come back to the league.
“It’s great that he came out," Klopas said. "I’m sure he has a lot of people supporting him and we are too. He’s a young guy, for him to want to come back and play is great for us, that’s why we took his rights.”
Watch Galaxy players and Arena talk about training with Rogers:
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM