CSU Coach Suspended For Slinging Slur At Player
BY Michelle Garcia
December 24 2013 5:56 PM ET
The defensive line coach for Colorado State's football team was suspended for two weeks for using an antigay slur with Washington State quarterback Connor Halliday.
The exchange between Halliday and coach Greg Lupfer was caught by ESPN after the quarterback threw a touchdown pass in the first half of the New Mexico Bowl game on Saturday. CSU beat Washington State, 48-45.
"I accept these consequences — two weeks without pay and the training programs -- and I am thankful for this second chance to continue coaching at Colorado State and be a part of the Ram family," the coach said in a statement, according to the Coloradoan. "I am deeply sorry for my behavior, which does not represent who I am or my values. I embrace the opportunity to participate in anger management and diversity sensitivity training. I was angry and careless with my words, and my words hurt many people. I sincerely apologize to the GLBTQ community for causing pain by using a slur without considering its meaning. I take ownership of my words and fully understand why people are very upset."
Lupfer will have to undergo anger management and diversity training, as directed by Colorado State athletic director Jack Graham.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 36 min 52 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 51 min 15 sec ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 1 hour 11 min ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM