CSU Coach Suspended For Slinging Slur At Player
BY Michelle Garcia
December 24 2013 5:56 PM ET
The defensive line coach for Colorado State's football team was suspended for two weeks for using an antigay slur with Washington State quarterback Connor Halliday.
The exchange between Halliday and coach Greg Lupfer was caught by ESPN after the quarterback threw a touchdown pass in the first half of the New Mexico Bowl game on Saturday. CSU beat Washington State, 48-45.
"I accept these consequences — two weeks without pay and the training programs -- and I am thankful for this second chance to continue coaching at Colorado State and be a part of the Ram family," the coach said in a statement, according to the Coloradoan. "I am deeply sorry for my behavior, which does not represent who I am or my values. I embrace the opportunity to participate in anger management and diversity sensitivity training. I was angry and careless with my words, and my words hurt many people. I sincerely apologize to the GLBTQ community for causing pain by using a slur without considering its meaning. I take ownership of my words and fully understand why people are very upset."
Lupfer will have to undergo anger management and diversity training, as directed by Colorado State athletic director Jack Graham.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 1 hour 2 min ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 1 hour 9 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 1 hour 12 min ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 2 hours 34 min ago
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 2 hours 48 min ago
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 5:56 PM
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 5:53 PM