Presenting Tom Judson's Canned Ham Tour
BY Tom Judson
August 20 2009 12:00 AM ET
In the Valley of Kings
Coxsackie, N.Y. -- The Canned Ham is a petite, 12-foot-long sweetheart. As I headed out to Vermont to see Cass, I stopped at the local RV place to pick up a few last-minute items like wheel chocks and leveling tabs. (No one said this column was going to be sexy.) When I came out of the store, I was taken aback by the diminutive stature of my retro baby in relation to these modern behemoths. Thanks to things like "slide-outs," the Canned Ham would literally fit sideways inside a few of the RVs pictured here. But mostly I was struck by the utilitarian beauty of my rig. It's as if the extent of the instructions the FAN Co. designers back in Wakarusa, Ind., received were, "Stove, icebox, sink, table, two beds. Make 'em fit."
I left the lot before Canned Ham could get sand kicked in its face.
- Teen Jerusalem Pride Marcher Dies From Stabbing
- Texas Rep.: Strand Gays on an Island, See What Happens
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- UFC Women's Champ: 'I Wouldn't Refuse' to Fight a Trans Athlete
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- 10 Tips on Growing Older for LGBT People Under 40