Gayest International Getaways
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 14 2011 10:00 AM ET
Antwerp — The city, picturesque with a long Flemish tradition of fine art and high fashion, is perhaps more akin to Amsterdam than it is to neighboring Belgian capital Brussels, a mere 50 kilometers (30 miles) away. But it's easily accessible from Amsterdam, Cologne, Paris, London, and Manchester. The site of the Outgames in 2013 has a thriving fetish scene (Antwerp's Leatherpride launched early last year), but the gay-friendly city of half a million residents also has plenty of pleasures for those who prefer couture over kink. Skip the rental car — parking is expensive and traffic rules are kooky — and go by foot, or by bus or tram with a Lijnkaart visitor pass (8 Euros for 10 journeys).
Amsterdam — Long known for its tolerant atmosphere, Amsterdam has a large and happening gay scene with plenty of hot spots like Bar Prik and Bar April. Featuring everything from live sex shows to drag queen bingo, the city is host to weekly and monthly gay parties. Amsterdam’s main gay street, Reguliersdwarsstraat, is also known as Rue des Vaseline.
The lesbian mayor of Zurich, Corine Mauch, at Europride.
Zurich – Switzerland’s largest city is also one of Europe’s most breathtaking. The financial center of Europe, Zurich was ranked the world’s most livable city until 2008, when it was surpassed by Vienna. Zurich is one of those rare cities with a little something for everyone — surrounded by mountains and lakes, it’s a dream destination for outdoorsy types. Its opera, museums, art galleries. and theaters are world-renowned. And as gay pride events go, they don’t get much more lovely than Zurich’s, which skirts the shore of the lake.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 32 min 24 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 1 hour 16 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 1 hour 32 min ago
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM