Gayest International Getaways
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 14 2011 11:00 AM ET
Antwerp — The city, picturesque with a long Flemish tradition of fine art and high fashion, is perhaps more akin to Amsterdam than it is to neighboring Belgian capital Brussels, a mere 50 kilometers (30 miles) away. But it's easily accessible from Amsterdam, Cologne, Paris, London, and Manchester. The site of the Outgames in 2013 has a thriving fetish scene (Antwerp's Leatherpride launched early last year), but the gay-friendly city of half a million residents also has plenty of pleasures for those who prefer couture over kink. Skip the rental car — parking is expensive and traffic rules are kooky — and go by foot, or by bus or tram with a Lijnkaart visitor pass (8 Euros for 10 journeys).
Amsterdam — Long known for its tolerant atmosphere, Amsterdam has a large and happening gay scene with plenty of hot spots like Bar Prik and Bar April. Featuring everything from live sex shows to drag queen bingo, the city is host to weekly and monthly gay parties. Amsterdam’s main gay street, Reguliersdwarsstraat, is also known as Rue des Vaseline.
The lesbian mayor of Zurich, Corine Mauch, at Europride.
Zurich – Switzerland’s largest city is also one of Europe’s most breathtaking. The financial center of Europe, Zurich was ranked the world’s most livable city until 2008, when it was surpassed by Vienna. Zurich is one of those rare cities with a little something for everyone — surrounded by mountains and lakes, it’s a dream destination for outdoorsy types. Its opera, museums, art galleries. and theaters are world-renowned. And as gay pride events go, they don’t get much more lovely than Zurich’s, which skirts the shore of the lake.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Filmmaker Needs Help to Penetrate the South 39 min 19 sec ago
- Commentary NYC Hate Crimes: Why I'm Afraid for First Time in My Life 56 min 39 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Portia de Rossi Spills Ellen's Most Annoying Habit to Jennifer Aniston 1 hour 19 min ago
- Living Well Why Shacking Up Is Good For Your Health 1 hour 25 min ago
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 2 hours 21 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 2 hours 51 min ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 11:07 AM