Trans Woman Among Nation's Top Crime Fighters
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
April 26 2012 2:35 PM ET
A victory for transgender and domestic violence advocates came this week when the Justice Department named Victoria Cruz (and 11 others) as the nation's top crime fighters, according to Simone Weichselbaum of the New York Daily News.
Cruz, a transgender Latina from Red Hook, New York, and the other activists were noted for turning “their own experiences into a positive force for sweeping change,” said Attorney General Eric Holder. Cruz was honored at Washington D.C's National National Crime Victims’ Service Awards ceremony last week.
Cruz, now 66, told Weichselbaum she had been out since grade school, long before she transitioned. “I always knew that I was different,” Cruz said. “When I was in middle school they would call me ‘queer.'”
After being in an abusive relationship and anti-trans harassment on the job, Cruz became an advocate for sexual and physical abuse survivors and is now a senior domestic violence counselor New York City Anti-Violence Project.
“I am passionate about the work that I do,” Cruz told the Daily News. “People are coming out at a younger age. And putting themselves at risk. This award is making the invincible, visible.”
Read more about Cruz and the other honorees at the New York Daily News.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM