Trans Woman Among Nation's Top Crime Fighters
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
April 26 2012 2:35 PM ET
A victory for transgender and domestic violence advocates came this week when the Justice Department named Victoria Cruz (and 11 others) as the nation's top crime fighters, according to Simone Weichselbaum of the New York Daily News.
Cruz, a transgender Latina from Red Hook, New York, and the other activists were noted for turning “their own experiences into a positive force for sweeping change,” said Attorney General Eric Holder. Cruz was honored at Washington D.C's National National Crime Victims’ Service Awards ceremony last week.
Cruz, now 66, told Weichselbaum she had been out since grade school, long before she transitioned. “I always knew that I was different,” Cruz said. “When I was in middle school they would call me ‘queer.'”
After being in an abusive relationship and anti-trans harassment on the job, Cruz became an advocate for sexual and physical abuse survivors and is now a senior domestic violence counselor New York City Anti-Violence Project.
“I am passionate about the work that I do,” Cruz told the Daily News. “People are coming out at a younger age. And putting themselves at risk. This award is making the invincible, visible.”
Read more about Cruz and the other honorees at the New York Daily News.
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 14 min 3 sec ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 18 min 30 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1 hour 33 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 2 hours 22 min ago
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM