Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 9:43 AM ET
Throughout grammar school, Navidra Hardin was known as “the gay kid.” So when high school began, he was determined for a fresh start — a straight start. Hardin made it a priority to show off how straight he was by being antigay. But shortly after Hardin's father passed away in 2009, he realized life is too short to have regrets. He came out of the closet despite his family’s belief that being gay is "unnatural" and "sinful.”
To his surprise, Hardin’s school community was mostly supportive. Still, being the only openly gay student in a Catholic school presented obstacles. He was discouraged from starting a gay-straight alliance and other LGBT-related activities. Things proved even more difficult at home, and his family cut off all financial assistance.
Still, Hardin has persevered and said he uses negative events as motivation. In keeping with his love of writing and speaking, Hardin is attending Emerson College to study journalism.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass-Wedding First in Maryland 42 min 23 sec ago
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 1 hour 39 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 1 hour 7 min ago
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 1 hour 22 min ago
- Entertainment News Need to Know: Alabama’s All-Male Cheerleading Squad 1 hour 33 min ago
- Sports National Gay & Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame’s First Class Announced 2 hours 1 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Did Chris Colfer Get Arrested? 2 hours 7 min ago