AFA Wants Kids Pulled Out of School During Anti-Bullying Day
BY Neal Broverman
October 15 2012 1:50 PM ET
The New York Times describes a new low for the American Family Association — the antigay group is urging parents to pull children out of school during Mix It Up at Lunch Day, an event meant to encourage empathy and discourage bullying.
Even though the event is not specific to LGBT students, the AFA told supporters in an email it's part of "homosexual indoctrination" by the Southern Poverty Law Center, which started Mix It Up day 11 years ago. The event encourage school students to eat lunch with different students to foster understanding of differences. Thanks to the AFA's email, a handful of schools canceled the event, which happens on Oct. 30.
"I was surprised that they completely lied about what Mix It Up Day is," Maureen Costello, the director of the SPLC's Teaching Tolerance project, which organizes the program, told the Times. "It was a cynical, fear-mongering tactic." Read more via the Honolulu Star-Advertiser.
The Mix It Up scuffle is the latest salvo in the war between the AFA and the SPLC. The latter group, an equality organization, lists the AFA as a "hate group," which the Christian organization is not happy with. Learn more about AFA and SPLC's war here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM