Give Homeless LGBT Youth a 'Shred of Hope'
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 20 2013 5:00 AM ET
"I wanted to be a part of the Shred of Hope program because I am a big supporter of the Ali Forney Center and wanted to contribute anything I could for the process of building their organization back after Hurricane Sandy and helping to fund the continued support they give to the LGBTQI community."
JD Samson is best known as leader of the band MEN, and for being one third of the electronic-feminist-punk band and performance project, Le Tigre. For more than a decade, JD's career as a singer, producer and DJ has landed her at the intersection of music, art, activism, and fashion.
In 2007, MEN began as a DJ-remix-production team featuring JD. Eventually, MEN became a live band and art collective.
Throughout the years, JD has been photographed and featured in a near-endless stream of magazines, publications and fine art projects, as an androgynous sex symbol and “icon of nerdy-cool," according to the New York Times. Most recently, JD was photographed for a seven-page spread in Vogue Hommes International, profiled by Interview Magazine, and wrote a widely quoted piece on the economics of being an artist for The Huffington Post.
She is, in short, one of the most engaging and forward-thinking DJ-producer-singer-activists working today. As her influence continues to grow, her music and perspective ripples ever outward.
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: My Father's Daughter 48 min 3 sec ago
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 1 hour 48 min ago
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM