Give Homeless LGBT Youth a 'Shred of Hope'
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 20 2013 5:00 AM ET
Alan Cumming is an actor-writer-director-producer-photographer-adventurer and has been a fan of both Nasty Pig and the Ali Forney Center for many years. Finally the cosmos allowed him to collaborate with both.
Cumming is beyond eclectic.
Right now, he is the political maverick Eli Gold on CBS's The Good Wife, for which he has received Emmy, SAG, and Satellite award nominations, but over the last couple of years he also sang at venues around the globe, including the Sydney Opera House; appeared in films opposite Helen Mirren, Cher, James Franco, and Christina Aguilera; voiced a Smurf, a goat, and Hitler; entered upside down and suspended by his ankles in a Greek tragedy and sparred with Dianne Wiest in Chekhov; directed and starred in a musical condom commercial; wrote articles for Newsweek, Harper's Bazaar, and Out; recorded an award-winning album of songs and a dance remix; made three documentaries; released a second fragrance (naturally named Second Cumming); and hosted PBS's Masterpiece Mystery as well as speaking out for LGBT equality and civil rights, and going to Buckingham Palace to receive an OBE for all of the above. Oh, and Time magazine also called him one of the most fun people in show business. Duh!
He was an award-winning Hamlet and has had his own talk show. He shot a video portrait with Robert Wilson and recorded a duet with Liza Minnelli. He made films back-to-back with Stanley Kubrick and the Spice Girls. He wrote a Sunday Times bestselling novel and has an award-winning signature fragrance. He has played Dionysus, the devil, and the pope, and was shot by Herb Ritts for Vanity Fair as Pan. He was a teleporting superhero, a Lee Jeans model, and hosted Saturday Night Live. He is an Independent Spirit Award-winning producer and National Board of Review-winning director. He has sung at Carnegie Hall, the Hollywood Bowl, the London Palladium, and San Francisco's Castro Theatre. He was named Icon of Scotland. He designed wallpaper. He was the voice of Black Beauty. He isn’t nearly done yet.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under 2 hours 28 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality 2 hours 29 min ago
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM