All Rights reserved
One of the numerous men who have accused Kevin Spacey of sexual assault and who had filed suit against the Oscar winner has died, according to Variety.
There is no more known information about the cause of death of the unnamed massage therapist, who alleged that during a session in Malibu, Calif., in 2016 that Spacey tried to kiss him and forced him to grab Spacey's genitals.
This week Spacey's attorneys filed a notice in federal court saying they'd been informed via the plaintiff's attorneys that he had "recently passed." The man filed suit in September 2018.
Last month the Malibu accuser's attorneys revealed that for the civil trial set for June 23, 2020, they would call two other unnamed massage therapists who claimed that Spacey had sexually assaulted them.
The decision to drop the charges came after Spacey's accuser invoked his right to avoid self-incrimination under the Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, so he could not provide testimony needed for the case to proceed, ABC News reports.
In pretrial hearings, however, it came out that the accuser's mother, former Boston TV news anchor Heather Unruh, had deleted data from the phone that could potentially clear Spacey. She acknowledged that she deleted information on her son's "frat boy activities" before giving the phone to law enforcement, Boston TV station WBZ reports. Spacey's defense team sought to obtain the phone to build their case, but the device now seems to have disappeared. An investigator said he gave it back to the accuser's family, but they said they do not have it.
Unruh's son came forward in 2017 to "lead by example," his attorney Mitchell Garabedian originally said in a statement.
Unruh's son, whose name was not been made public, told police that he was finishing a shift at Nantucket's Club Car in 2016 when Spacey began asking him sexual questions before shoving his hands down the teen's pants. The teen Snapchatted part of the assault and sent it to his girlfriend as proof, which the girlfriend corroborated.
"Spacey stuck his hand inside my son's pants and grabbed his genitals," Unruh said at a news conference in 2017. "This was completely unexpected, and my son's efforts to shift his body to remove Spacey's hand were only momentarily successful. The violation continued. My son panicked. He froze."
During the height of the #MeToo movement in the fall of 2017, actor Anthony Rapp (Star Trek: Discovery, Rent) shared his story of Spacey assaulting him at a party when Rapp was just 14 years old. From there, allegations of Spacey's misconduct poured in from several men, which led to the actor's career nosediving. Within weeks, he was removed from All the Money in the World and fired from House of Cards.
Spacey still faces charges of sexual assault in London, according to Variety.