Nelly Power: When Coming Out Isn't a Choice
BY Christopher Harrity
November 05 2013 5:00 AM ET
Bugs Bunny: That Cross-Dwessing Wabbit
Right there, in plain sight, and entertaining millions of children, adults, and especially GIs was one of the the most famous cartoon characters ever — and certainly the campiest one.
Looking somewhat like Milton Berle in a rabbit suit, Bugs's character is like a mythological trickster archetype. Narcissistic and fearless, and bent on bringing disorder to the universe, Bugs always breaks the rules with casual disregard.
Bugs is a clown and an effeminate one at that. He often dons women's clothes to seduce his nemesis (Elmer Fudd) and then humiliate him. In the middle of his ruse, a prolonged kiss is planted on Elmer's face, leaving Elmer in a state of dreamy delirium. Bugs then saunters off wagging his fluffy white tail as it peeks out from under a flouncy skirt.
Debate over Bugs's orientation is moot. He's a cartoon.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6