BY Albert Smith
April 03 2010 12:00 AM ET
What makes a good photograph to you?
Artistic vision is responsible for good photography, in my opinion; it's not really about planning, being spontaneous, or catching the accidental great shot. A good photograph has to have the backing of a photographer bent on capturing something expressive.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
Most of my favorite artists are film directors; my inspiration comes from that medium. Pedro Almodóvar is at the top of an extremely short list of people whose work strikes a chord with me. His use of colors, breadth of landscapes and settings, and framing are excellent. There's certainly a team of people responsible for making a great film, but Almodóvar creates visual pieces with strong content that makes me want to do better in my field. I also favor fellow photographers whom I communicate with on a daily basis; the list is long, but they all know who they are and the work of theirs I admire and support.
My creative inspiration for photography stems a great deal from film and literature. When I work with someone on creating an image, I believe myself to be unconsciously filled with flashes of textures, frames, actions, colors, and much more. Those flashes mix with narrative voices, and the result is a collective of my influences and an innate desire to produce something different from what I photographed previously.
Conceptual, creative photography is the base for almost any image I work to create. Light and shadow as well as color coordination, precision, framing, and quirkiness have become words I cannot go a day without referencing or utilizing during the process. I am a student (in academics and life) of the arts, and I would not have my personal aspirations in this field go any other way. It is my wish that the work I am doing allows me to continually progress within art and fashion. I have enjoyed my time in this endeavor from the start, and I am always pleasantly surprised as to how much more there is out there to learn and use for experimentation.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 28 min 47 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 44 min 40 sec ago
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM