BY Albert Smith
April 03 2010 1:00 AM ET
What makes a good photograph to you?
Artistic vision is responsible for good photography, in my opinion; it's not really about planning, being spontaneous, or catching the accidental great shot. A good photograph has to have the backing of a photographer bent on capturing something expressive.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
Most of my favorite artists are film directors; my inspiration comes from that medium. Pedro Almodóvar is at the top of an extremely short list of people whose work strikes a chord with me. His use of colors, breadth of landscapes and settings, and framing are excellent. There's certainly a team of people responsible for making a great film, but Almodóvar creates visual pieces with strong content that makes me want to do better in my field. I also favor fellow photographers whom I communicate with on a daily basis; the list is long, but they all know who they are and the work of theirs I admire and support.
My creative inspiration for photography stems a great deal from film and literature. When I work with someone on creating an image, I believe myself to be unconsciously filled with flashes of textures, frames, actions, colors, and much more. Those flashes mix with narrative voices, and the result is a collective of my influences and an innate desire to produce something different from what I photographed previously.
Conceptual, creative photography is the base for almost any image I work to create. Light and shadow as well as color coordination, precision, framing, and quirkiness have become words I cannot go a day without referencing or utilizing during the process. I am a student (in academics and life) of the arts, and I would not have my personal aspirations in this field go any other way. It is my wish that the work I am doing allows me to continually progress within art and fashion. I have enjoyed my time in this endeavor from the start, and I am always pleasantly surprised as to how much more there is out there to learn and use for experimentation.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland 1 hour 14 min ago
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 1 hour 32 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 1 hour 39 min ago
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 1 hour 54 min ago
- Entertainment News Need to Know: Alabama’s All-Male Cheerleading Squad 2 hours 5 min ago
- Sports National Gay & Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame’s First Class Announced 2 hours 33 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Did Chris Colfer Get Arrested? 2 hours 39 min ago