In the Galleries: Francisco Cabas
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 11 2012 3:18 PM ET
Above: Cabas's The Fortress, oil on canvas, 4'x6'
The L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center’s Advocate & Gochis Galleries celebrate the opening of In the Making: A Story of Dreamers in Transit, an exhibition of original paintings by artist Francisco Cabas and collages created in collaboration with youth in the Gay & Lesbian Center’s Transition Living Program. An opening reception will take place on Thursday, July 12, 7-9 p.m. at the Center’s Village at Ed Gould Plaza. The exhibit will run through August 17.
Francisco Cabas’s work proposes visual and conceptual models within narratives of sexual violence, homophobia, and regeneration. Through an intricate “highway system” of roots and veins, Cabas creates a visual metaphor where the emptiness caused by emotional devastation and social alienation is transformed into a quest for individual and community empowerment.
As part of his commitment to public service, Cabas worked for the last two years with young people in the Transition Living Program at the Gay & Lesbian Center to create artworks that engage with the experience of transit and the essential longings of the human heart. The resulting collages are snapshots of untold stories created with original images, found objects, news clippings and documentary photography taken during weekly art sessions held at the shelter.
See more of Cabas's work as well as some students' collages on the following pages.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver 1 hour 44 min ago
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans 2 hours 20 min ago
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 2 hours 34 min ago
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages 2 hours 36 min ago
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples 4:14 PM