In the Galleries: From Under the Mattress
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 15 2014 5:00 AM ET
In the 1950s there developed a surprisingly large and growing market for what can only be described as male “pinups.” But of course their real intent had to be camouflaged.
These “pinups” came in the form of little magazines with titles like Grecian Guild Pictorial and Tomorrow’s Man, which pretended to be bodybuilding magazines, strength and health journals, and sometimes, more rarely, anatomy guides for “artists.” Those who bought them, however, understood that they were a means to allow gay men and boys to look at handsome, well-built, virtually naked men. They were available in drugstore magazine racks and newsstands across the country. Certainly buying one of these publications required an act of courage, especially if the small-town drugstore owner knew the buyer and his family most of their lives. But the exhilaration of knowing that something so exciting existed so close at hand, and the possibility of owning one of these publications overwhelmed any misgivings or obstacles that stood between him and the thrilling object of his lust. So he bought it! The “Stroke” exhibition, curated by Robert W. Richards, will explore the history of the artists whose illustrations were published in these magazines from the 1950s until the magazines’ demise in the ’90s. when VHS tapes, then DVDs, and finally the Internet made them forever obsolete. An era in gay history had died.
Among the artists drawing for the magazines from the primitive pamphlet-type publications to the progressively slicker Blueboy, Torso, Mandate, Honcho, etc., and whose work will be represented in the exhibition are Tom of Finland, George Stravinos, Harry Bush, Mel Odom, Benoit Prevot, Jim French, Richard Rosenfeld, Michael Kirwin, Kent, Neel Bate (Blade), and Michael Breyette.
STROKE: From Under the Mattress to the Museum Walls
March 28 – May 25, 2014, Leslie-Lohman Museum
Robert W. Richards, Curator
Benoît-A Prévot, John Roses
Click through for more art from the exhibit>>>
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 8:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM