Artist Spotlight: Sara Swaty
BY Christopher Harrity
September 07 2013 4:00 AM ET
"[I] always felt confused and isolated when put in women and girl-only spaces. I was very disassociated from my body during puberty, and up until recently always felt a 'disconnect' between my head and my physical self. At 16, I changed my birth name (Lauren Elisabeth) to Loryn Elliot. I see both gender and sexuality as fluid and do not believe either exists on a narrow 'one or the opposite' binary. I do not identify as transsexual because I do not believe there are only two genders, nor do I believe I was born the wrong one. Our society takes gender too damn seriously, and I often try to laugh at it, mold it, perform with it, and make light of it."
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- Right-Wing Ad: Marriage Equality Will Cause Freedom's 'Extinction'
- Bobby Jindal: Louisiana's Antigay Marriage Bill Isn't About Discrimination
- RuPaul's Drag Race's Max: I Made a 'Grave Mistake'
- This Black Trans Man Is in Prison for Killing His Rapist