Artist Spotlight: Sara Swaty
BY Christopher Harrity
September 07 2013 4:00 AM ET
"[I] always felt confused and isolated when put in women and girl-only spaces. I was very disassociated from my body during puberty, and up until recently always felt a 'disconnect' between my head and my physical self. At 16, I changed my birth name (Lauren Elisabeth) to Loryn Elliot. I see both gender and sexuality as fluid and do not believe either exists on a narrow 'one or the opposite' binary. I do not identify as transsexual because I do not believe there are only two genders, nor do I believe I was born the wrong one. Our society takes gender too damn seriously, and I often try to laugh at it, mold it, perform with it, and make light of it."
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- Teen Jerusalem Pride Marcher Dies From Stabbing
- Greg Louganis on Caitlyn Jenner: 'We All Have Our Own Journeys'
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Leslie Jordan: I Threw 'Sweet Iced Tea, Not Coffee' in Starbucks Fight