PHOTOS: Bathhouse History Lesson
BY Christopher Harrity
June 28 2014 4:00 AM ET
Two guys in towels talking near the snack bar in the common area of the Fairoaks.
Gay Pride #1
The Fairoaks float at the 1978 Gay Pride Parade in San Francisco was a flatbed truck decorated with furniture from the Fairoaks lounge. The hood ornament is wearing a Fairoaks T-shirt and straddling a protest sign about the Briggs initiative, which would have banned gay and “gay-sympathetic” teachers from classrooms in California, and did not pass.
Gay Pride #8
Taken from the front of the Fairoaks float for the 1978 Gay Pride Parade, looking ahead at the parade and by-standers. The banner is seen here in reverse lettering.
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples