Bookshelf: Eating Out (and In)
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
November 04 2011 11:41 AM ET
Paletas: Authentic Recipes for Mexican Ice Pops,
Shaved Ice and Agua Frescas, by Fany
Gerson (Ten Speed Press)
Popsicles pushed cupcakes off the sweet treat throne this summer, thanks
in no small part to Gerson, the country's most authoritative voice on Mexican
sweets, who launched La Newyorkina, a Mexican frozen treats biz. Gerson's Paletas is the first collection of recipes in the U.S. to
tackle Mexican popsicles (paletas),
as well as fruit juices, and shaved ice (raspado) — and there isn't a single bad recipe in the bunch.
Best bets: the Sour Cream, Cherry and Tequila Ice Pops and Spicy Mango Ice.
- Could National Marriage Equality Mean the End of Gay Culture?
- Op-ed: When Right vs. Left Becomes Right vs. Wrong
- Boxer Manny Pacquiao Denies Making Antigay Remarks
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50, 3rd Edition
- Op-ed: Helping Gays Find Love Isn't Easy, Especially In the South
- Argentina Makes History With Three-Parent Birth Certificate