Advocate Bookshelf: Best Non-Fiction Transgender Books
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
November 19 2011 6:30 PM ET
Transparent: Love, Family, and Living the T with Transgender Teenagers ($12, Mariner Books)
When lesbian journalist Cris Beam moved to Los Angeles, she planned to volunteer a few hours at a school for queer and trans kids. But what started as a simple assignment soon became part of a social group of trans girls who accept her into their world. In Transparent, Beam introduces us to these girls (Foxxjazell, Ariel, Christina, and Dominique) and their often heartbreaking but always defiant lives.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Hands Down, the Single Best Quote of 2014
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Will Florida Arrest Clerks for Marrying Gay Couples?
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?