Jeffrey Sharlach and Andrew Tobias on the Courage to Come Out
BY Michelle Garcia
May 01 2012 3:35 PM ET
Jeffrey Sharlach is the author of the new novel Running in Bed (Two Harbors Press), which tells the story of Josh Silver, an ambitious gay New York advertising executive, as he comes out of the closet and sets off in search of true love, finding himself in the process. Set in New York’s Greenwich Village and Fire Island in the late 1970s, it covers a path similar to that trod by Andrew Tobias a decade before at Harvard, which he related in The Best Little Boy in the World, first published in 1973. We asked them to both look back at their coming-out experience and tell us how they view the experience now, decades later.
- Ethics Complaint Filed Against Texas AG Over Stance on Marriage Licenses
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Out Photographer Slammed for Gay Iwo Jima Re-Creation
- Why Does Vogue Think Bisexuality Is a Phase?