20 Must-Read Books We Missed Last Year
BY Clea Kim and Diane Anderson-Minshall
May 13 2013 5:00 AM ET
Before the Rain: A Memoir of Love and Revolution by Luisita Lopez Torregrosa (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, $25.00)
This memoir by Luisita Lopez Torregrosa tells the story of unexpected love and the delicate ties and dangers it brings. Newspaper editor Torregrosa meets Elizabeth, a writer with whom she falls madly in love. When Elizabeth is sent to the Philippines to cover the fall of Ferdinand Marcos, Torregrosa gives up her job and joins Elizabeth. There the two begin their relationship while covering the political madness and uproar. Although their relationship flourished in the islands, it ends in heartbreak when they return to the United States. Torregrosa captures the transformation and intimacy of love. You will be mesmerized by this story of valor, passion, and heartbreak.
- WATCH: Dan Savage on Kentucky Clerk's Religious Double Standards
- 'Old Redneck Hillbilly' Husband of Kim Davis Has a Warning for Nosey People
- Op-ed: How The Danish Girl Helped Me Discover Myself
- WATCH: Kentucky Same-Sex Couples Discuss Kim Davis's Denial
- Op-ed: The Real Ramifications of the Rentboy Raid
- Why Are We Gay?