Memories of JFK From His Gay Best Friend
BY Advocate Contributors
November 22 2013 4:00 AM ET
Jack and Lem on leave, Palm Beach, 1944
“It's not clear whether Lem wanted to join the navy and see combat because Jack had, or because he wanted it for himself. Lem's sister, Lucretia, who knew Jack as well, said, 'I think he had to do something because Jack was doing so much.' Either way, it was a courageous move in view of the casualties the navy was suffering in the Pacific at the time. 'It was very hard for him, but he wanted to do it and he stuck with it,' Lucretia added. When Jack reached home, the two friends greeted each other like there was no tomorrow.” (Page 100)
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Emily Blunt: 'I Want to Be a Gay Icon'
- WATCH: Partner of Sydney Siege Hero Remembers His 'Soulmate'