Holidays—It Should Be So Nice
BY Advocate Contributors
October 13 2010 4:00 AM ET
Talking a relative into supporting gay rights over a holiday meal—without sparking a family feud
Try to defuse it with humor. You can win a lot more hearts and minds with humor than with anything else. Of course, if someone’s being blatantly homophobic, tell them, “I’m gay.” The more of us who say that, the less of an issue it’ll be. But if all else fails—food fight.
Stephanie Miller, host of The Stephanie Miller Show, a nationally syndicated radio program (StephanieMiller.com)
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- WATCH: In Pat Robertson's Latest Diatribe, Gays Are 'Terrorists'
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- That's Amoré! 11 Irresistible Images of What Happened When Rome Recognized Same-Sex Marriages
- Op-ed: 22 Reasons Queer History Is Important