BY Brandon Voss
February 25 2011 10:30 AM ET
10. FILM: Drive Angry
Known for her roles in The Stepfather and All the Boys Love Mandy Lane, Amber Heard makes a fine romantic lead in this 3D action flick, in theaters February 25, which stars Nicholas Cage as a guy who escapes hell to stop a cult from sacrificing his granddaughter. It’s Heard’s biggest project since she officially came out as a lesbian at a 2010 GLAAD event, where she proudly walked the red carpet with girlfriend Tasya van Ree.
9. CD: Mr. Phyllis & Other Funny Stories, Joan Rivers
Joan Rivers has enjoyed a deserved career resurgence since the release of last year’s raw documentary Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work. Fans can now trace her bleached roots back to her 1967 debut comedy record, which has just been released on CD for the first time. The focus of two stories in her act, Mr. Phyllis was actually her gay hairdresser, a topic Rivers recalled as being “very shocking in those days” in a recent Advocate interview.
8. TV: The 83rd Annual Academy Awards
Black Swan has that sex scene between Mila Kunis and nominee Natalie Portman, but fellow Best Picture contender The Kids Are All Right is our great gay hope when the Oscars air February 27 on ABC with four nods, including one for out filmmaker Lisa Cholodenko’s screenplay. Best Actor noms include Javier Bardem, Colin Firth, and cohost James Franco, gents who have all memorably played gay in past Oscar favorites.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- WATCH: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Sees 'No Crying Need' for SCOTUS to Take Up Marriage
- Op-ed: How the Voices of Children Have Helped Turn the Tide on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: As Marriage Equality Spreads, Judge Rules NOM Can't Recoup $700K in Legal Fees
- Last-Minute Gift Ideas for the Catholic Who Suddenly Wants to Be Friends