Out of the Dark
BY Heath Daniels
September 06 2012 10:57 PM ET
There are two forms of addiction happening in Keep the Lights On. Paul is addicted to drugs. Erik is addicted to Paul and trying to rescue him. Both seem equally destructive.
I think that this is a very mutual relationship in which they both choose to go forward in something that is, from the start, loaded against them. I am now a member of Al-Anon and I’ve learned a lot about addiction and co-dependency. I think half the world is prone to these kinds of relationships. When I first met my ex-boyfriend and he pulled out a crack pipe in the first month we were together, my response was, “Let’s move in together and spend the rest of our lives together.” Half the world that would say, “Nice to meet you. Go get some help and come back.” But, half of the world is like me. I was well read, intelligent, generally smart, and so deeply ignorant about the pattern of that relationship and how common it was. Even though I saw this was high octane, bad stuff, I was drawn in immediately. I really believed I could save my partner and that was my job. I also believed without my partner I was nothing.
When did you realize you couldn’t save him?
Not until it was over.
I found myself repeatedly frustrated by these two men. One moment I was rooting for their passionate, beautiful love affair and at other times their relationship was so destructive I was angry at both of them for staying in it. What kind of reaction are you getting from audiences?
The part that is most rewarding for me is that people very quickly start talking about themselves. I think the film works as a trigger to make people consider their own relationships and the dynamics within those relationships. There is a wide range of responses. The film makes people uncomfortable and it gives people pleasure. It’s a film that encourages people to be introspective.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Give Homeless LGBT Youth a 'Shred of Hope'
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Give Homeless LGBT Youth a 'Shred of Hope' 1 hour 27 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 4:00 AM
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM