4 Fairy Tales With Gay Links
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
September 10 2012 6:08 PM ET
With the growing popularity of NBC's Grimm (in which lesbian actress Jennifer Lanier had a recurring role as a medical examiner) and, well, every other recent animated fairy tale remake, which has something special for LGBT viewers?
Snow White and the Huntsman
By now director Rupert Sanders is known more for diddling the talent than he is for helming the ambitious (albeit flawed) directorial debut Snow White and the Huntsman, but his darker reinterpretation of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs — out today on Blu-Ray and DVD — is worth a gander still for a couple of reasons. Namely: Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth. Already a gay fave from his turn as Thor in The Avengers, Hemsworth is the titular Huntsman who goes after and then eventually helps rescue Snow White, played by Kristen Stewart, who still seems sullen and prototypically queer even after having her (straight) romatic life covered in every tabloid. But it's Theron who makes the film worth the rental. The actress, who won an Academy Award and Golden Globe Award, for her role as lesbian serial killer Aileen Wuornos in the 2003 drama Monster, is no stranger to shapeshifting, in that film and others such as North Country and Æon Flux (she trained with Cirque du Soleil to help her play the bisexual assassin). As the Evil Queen in this Snow White, Theron is fierce and beautiful, and within her first few moments on-screen we see her literally murder to move up. Now that's girl power.
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 48 min 33 sec ago
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 1 hour 58 min ago
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM