28 Sexy (Movie) Men in Uniform
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
March 07 2013 8:00 AM ET
Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly in Anchors Away! (1945)
Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly are Joe and Clarence, two Navy sailors on a four-day shore leave in Hollywood in Anchors Away! They dance. They rescue a little boy. They supposedly look for girlfriends. But scene after scene, there's so much campy gay subtext (later, the phrase "Twice as gay as Anchors Away" was applied to many, many things) it's hard to take it at face value. In one scene, Clarence watches Joe sleep, Joe's bum carefully sticking out of the covers. He's happy for two reasons: one, Joe's inadverently sleeping instead of going on his date (Clarence sneaks glances at the clock) and well, that well-positioned booty in front of him. Joe tells a woman he's confused at one point; at another, he offers to pretend to be a girl so inexperienced Clarence can get some practice. Gay, gay, gay. Oh, and Gene Kelly dances with a mouse.
- WATCH: This Indiana Pizzeria Won't Cater Gay Weddings
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- MSNBC Shake-Up Means Big Role for Thomas Roberts
- WATCH: Student Defies Russia's Propaganda Ban With Hozier's 'Take Me to Church'
- Arrow and The Flash Stars: It's Time for a Gay Superhero on TV (Video)
- WATCH: Conan's Hilarious Interview With Indiana's 'Religious Freedom Czar'