The Films of Polari LGBT Film Festival
BY Jase Peeples
October 15 2013 3:00 AM ET
Film: My Queer Movie (Shorts)
Venue: Violet Crown Cinema
Time: 2:30 p.m. Saturday
Synopsis: Behold the entries in this year's My Queer Movie competition for new and emerging LGBTQIA filmmakers. Superheroines, canine conundrums, and barroom brawls are among this year's attractions. Shorts screening include (an)Other, Cowgirls, Fetch, Girls With Capes, Hypocrites and Strippers, Inner Cabin, The Poser, Psycho Billy, and Three in a Bed.
Film: Entangoed Desires: Best of Girls and Boys Shorts
Venue: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema at the Ritz
Time: 5 p.m. Saturday
Synopsis: Mysterious party-crashers, bathroom snafus, and Amy Sedaris(!) are among the funny and sexy delights of this year's best of the best. Shorts screening include Before Words, Housebroken, First Date, The Devotion Project: Foremost in My Mind, Social Butterfly, Dik, Spooners, and F to 7th – Family.
Film: Pit Stop
Venue: Stateside Theater
Time: 5 p.m. Saturday
Synopsis: Local filmmaker Yen Tan makes his home state proud with this quietly charming tale of small-town Texas romance that has been making waves from Sundance to Outfest. Handsome construction contractor Gabe (Bill Heck) lives with his ex-wife (Amy Seimetz, Upstream Color) and their young daughter, occasionally, and with much trepidation, venturing into the world of same-sex dating. On the other side of town, forklift operator Ernesto (Marcus DeAnda) tends to a hospitalized ex, while back home his volatile relationship with a younger man falls apart. Tan observes the lives and loves of these two men with uncommon insight and sensitivity, situating Pit Stop as the work of a true humanist. Eschewing blue-collar clichés and easy plot points in favor of a richly nuanced portrait of gay life in the rural South, Tan honors his audience with thoughtful dialogue and reflective silences — and rewards them with one extraordinarily sexy ending.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 19 min 27 sec ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 26 min 55 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 35 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 37 min 35 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 45 min 43 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 2 hours 5 min ago
- Media Game of Thrones Video Game Announced 2 hours 10 min ago