Cook a Big Gay Thanksgiving
BY Michelle Garcia
November 20 2012 5:00 AM ET
Anne Burrell's Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Apples
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
Extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 Honeycrisp or Granny Smith apples
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, picked and finely chopped
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, toss the sweet potatoes generously with some olive oil, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne. Lay the sweet potatoes out on a sheet tray, place them in the oven and roast until they are very soft and mushy, 30 to 35 minutes.
Peel the apples and cut into 1-inch dice. Toss the apples with the lemon juice, some olive oil, salt, and the rosemary. Lay them out on a sheet tray and place in the oven during the last 15 minutes of the cooking time for the sweet potatoes. When done, the apples should be soft and cooked through but still hold their shape. Sprinkle the walnuts over the apples during the last five minutes in the oven.
Transfer the sweet potatoes to a large bowl and coarsely mash them with a potato masher. Stir in the cooked apples and walnuts. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
Serve immediately or keep in a warm oven and serve hot.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Sees 'No Crying Need' for SCOTUS to Take Up Marriage
- Wyoming Won't Appeal Marriage Equality
- WATCH: As Marriage Equality Spreads, Judge Rules NOM Can't Recoup $700K in Legal Fees