Hot Sheet: A Room With a Bond
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 09 2012 3:29 PM ET
7. BOOKS: The Lost Battles: Leonardo, Michelangelo, and the Artistic Duel That Defined The Renaissance, Jonathan Jones
Those of us who weren't given a proper art history education may only think of Leonardo and Michelangelo as those brilliant Italian artists who two of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are named after. But noted art historian Jonathan Jones quickly paints the scene: just after finishing The Last Supper, aging artistic genius Leonardo da Vinci is recruited to post-Medici Florence to paint The Battle of Anghiari, a narrative fresco, for the Great Council Hall in 1503. He finds himself working side by side with 30-year-old Michelangelo, who just accomplished sculpting the statue of David and is now painting The Battle of Cascina in the same room. Talk about ancient drama.
- The Only 2 Things to Know Out of Mike Pence's Dissembling Interview
- Backlash Continues: Angie's List Cancels Indiana Expansion
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- After Indiana, 23 More States Could Pass Discrimination Bills
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.