Hot Sheet: A Room With a Bond
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 09 2012 3:29 PM ET
7. BOOKS: The Lost Battles: Leonardo, Michelangelo, and the Artistic Duel That Defined The Renaissance, Jonathan Jones
Those of us who weren't given a proper art history education may only think of Leonardo and Michelangelo as those brilliant Italian artists who two of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are named after. But noted art historian Jonathan Jones quickly paints the scene: just after finishing The Last Supper, aging artistic genius Leonardo da Vinci is recruited to post-Medici Florence to paint The Battle of Anghiari, a narrative fresco, for the Great Council Hall in 1503. He finds himself working side by side with 30-year-old Michelangelo, who just accomplished sculpting the statue of David and is now painting The Battle of Cascina in the same room. Talk about ancient drama.
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’
- WATCH: Antigay Ky. Clerk Inadvertently Married This Queer Couple
- WATCH: How This 12-Year-Old Lacrosse Player Found His Courage
- 60 Music Videos That Raised LGBT Visibility
- 5 Most Disappointing Things We Learned About HRC's 'White Men's Club'
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation