Hot Sheet: If These Sheets Could Talk
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 28 2014 5:27 PM ET
9. BOOK: Jimmy’s Blues and Other Poems
Many are familiar with the prose of gay activist and writer James Baldwin, whose books Giovanni’s Room and Go Tell It on the Mountain remain seminal works of American literature. A new book, released on the 90th anniversary of the year of Baldwin’s birth, shines a spotlight on another aspect of his writing: his poetry. Published by Beacon Press, Jimmy’s Blues and Other Poems is a must-have for Baldwin fans because it revives many poems that were either out of print or previously only available in limited editions. And like his novels, plays, and essays, his poems exemplify his affection for language, while still striking a nerve in issues of race and love. Available in bookstores Tuesday, Jimmy’s Blues and Other Poems shows why Baldwin, in Maya Angelou’s words, “was a giant.” — Daniel Reynolds
- One of the Original X-Men Comes Out as Gay (Spoilers)
- EXCLUSIVE: Josh Groban Sings "Over The Rainbow"
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- More of You Could Be Fired for Getting Married
- WATCH: Bruce LaBruce at MoMA
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'